Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default length principle of a number within a cell

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:43:00 -0700, German Mandujano Medina <German Mandujano
wrote:

I require to capture 16 numbers of either the more carateres but when keying
it only accepts them the first 15 zero digits and the later ones " only puts;
0 " it only allows me to capture them if I put in front a character, for
example " ' " that is to say, it only allows it if it is captured like text,
which is not to me useful, that can be done on the matter.

If you check Excel's specifications, you will find that it is limited to 15
digits. If you wish to use numbers longer than that, you will have to format
them as text, or precede with a single quote " ' ".

There are some routines that, by using VBA, enable math to be performed on
these large numbers. Otherwise you will need to use a different program.
--ron