Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Paste Special text or Unicode Text

You have only one version of XL but you have opened it twice. In each
instance you will have one or more workbooks open. If you open the task
manager you will see two copies of Excel.exe in the processes window. One
instance of XL has no direct access to deal with the other you do not get the
paste special option...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Kevin" wrote:

i'm not sure if i get what you mean by "instance of XL". Do you mean
versions?? The two files were created at the same time by me and i'm copying
from one file to another file . . .

Or do you mean when instead of having one Excel open with two files open,
there are actually two versions of Excel open, each with one file open in
each??

thanks for the reply

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

You are copying and pasting from a workbook in one instance of XL to a
workbook in a different instance of XL.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Kevin" wrote:

i have two excel files, one that has formulas and one that uses raw values.
I need to copy the values from the first sheet to the second one and use
Paste Special and Values. However, sometimes the normal Paste Special box
does not appear, but another box that says Paste/Paste link with the options
of "text" or "Unicode text" appears.

Does anyone know what that happens???