Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] BigFish311@gmail.com is offline

Default Drop Down list with Code Description

On Aug 12, 6:15*pm, "Otto Moehrbach"
wrote:
With VBA you can have the drop-down list show the whole thing (A -
Architecture for instance), then show just the "A" after a selection is
made. *You would setup the Data Validation to not display an error alert
when a wrong entry is made. *A macro like the following would work. *This is
a sheet event macro and must be placed in the sheet module of your sheet.
To access that module, right-click on the sheet tab, select View Code, and
paste this macro into that module. *"X" out of the module to return to your
sheet.
You will need to add all the other list items and the corresponding single
letter that you want in the code. *Post back if you need more. *HTH *Otto
* * If Target.Count 1 Then Exit Sub
* * If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
* * * * If IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Exit Sub
* * * * Application.EnableEvents = False
* * * * Select Case Target.Value
* * * * * * Case "A - Architecture": Target.Value = "A"
* * * * * * Case "C - Civil": Target.Value = "C"
* * * * * * Case "E - Electrical": Target.Value = "E"
* * * * End Select
* * * * Application.EnableEvents = True
* * End If
End wrote in message

I was looking for a way to show a code description when choosing from
multiple values in a single cell.

Example

I *have these codes and their definitions in a spreadsheet
A - Architecture
C - Civil
E - Electrical

I only see the following below to choose from in my list which might
not be a *big help for some people.

I only want to see A show up in the cell but I would like to see "A -
Architecture" show up in the drop down list.

Can this be done?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, worked like a charm