Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Change cell format from text to general on the fly

As soon as you start typing anything in the cell, no meaningful macro can do
anything.

But you could have an event macro that changes the format of the cell when the
user selects it -- or doubleclicks on it -- or even rightclicks on it.

JSnow wrote:

I don't know if this is possible (although anything seems possible with vba),
but here's what I'm attempting. I'm using Excel 2003 and I have a column
formatted as 'text'. I'd like to switch any cell in that column to 'general'
formatting once the user enter '=' in the cell to start a formula. These
formulas will be very simple, basically linking the text data from one cell
to the current cell.

I can do this manually by selecting the cell, format cell number text,
then enter my formula '=D12'. But I'm working with alot of data and it would
be much easier to have this format change on the fly when I enter the leading
equal sign.

I'm brand new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any direction.

--

Dave Peterson