Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JSnow JSnow is offline

Default Change cell format from text to general on the fly

I don't know if this is possible (although anything seems possible with vba),
but here's what I'm attempting. I'm using Excel 2003 and I have a column
formatted as 'text'. I'd like to switch any cell in that column to 'general'
formatting once the user enter '=' in the cell to start a formula. These
formulas will be very simple, basically linking the text data from one cell
to the current cell.

I can do this manually by selecting the cell, format cell number text,
then enter my formula '=D12'. But I'm working with alot of data and it would
be much easier to have this format change on the fly when I enter the leading
equal sign.

I'm brand new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any direction.