Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greg in CO[_2_] Greg in CO[_2_] is offline

Default To Count or not to Count

Thanks JP...I tried that, but ti didn't work. I may not have been detailed
enough in my original description.

Column A (Planned Resource) will have a job description (i.e. Lead Chicken
Plucker)

Column S will have an entry for hours (i.e. 40 hours for Jan)

So, as I read across the worksheet, I see the the project requires 1 Planned
Resource (Lead Chicken Plucker) for 40 hours in Jan. In a cell above
January, I am trying to do a count (not a sum) of resources who have hours
allocated in January. Ideally, a formula would look at Column A, confirm
there is an entry (what the entry is is immaterial at this point, it is just
confirming a "Planned Resource" versus an "Assigned Resource"), then look
across to see if there is an entry in the same row in Column S. This would
tell me that there is one Planned Resource needed in January. As for
summing, I already have those formulas, using SUMIF functions. It's getting
counts that is a pain.

Column C has the same info, but is the listing of Assigned Resources and
there is a cell above January for that count as well (it would be the same
formula, just ref'ing to Column C instead of Column A). My head hurts
again... ;)

--
Greg

"JP" wrote:

Here's an array formula that will work

=SUM(IF(TargetCell=MyRange,1,0))

Where

TargetCell = cell in column S you want to look up
MyRange = range of cells you want to search

Keep in mind it's an array formula so it will slow down your worksheet
if you use too large a range, or use too many array formulas. For one
or two it won't be too bad.

HTH,
JP

On Aug 12, 2:56 pm, Greg in CO <Greg in
wrote:
I have a resource planning sheet. In column A, I have a drop menu which
allows the user to select a job position which the think they may need. In
column S, they can put the estimate hour for that job. Column S is for
January.
I would like to count the entires in column S which equate to an entry in
column A. I have tried countif, counta, nested if formulas...I am stumped.
The logic should be "if there are entries in column A, count the
corresponding entries in column S. Also, there is the same drop menu in
column C, which allows the user to indicate that they have an actual resource
with the desire job position assigned, and then the estimate or actual hours
for that assigned resource would also go into column S (or for in the column
for the month in question). So, column S could have entries for planned
resources and for assigned resources.

Any help is appreciated...my brain hurts at the moment.