Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
janabanana janabanana is offline

Default Need a formula to give me the last value in a column.

i know this was a few months back, but i have tried using all of these
formulas and cannot get one to work with a text box.
i have a text box in a worksheet. if i simply type: =LOG!A1 then it displays
the text in A1 of my Log sheet.
however, i need it to display the text in the last cell with text in that
sheet.
i have typed in all of your options and keep getting a "The text you entered
is not a valid reference or defined name."

Thoughts?
--
jana

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try one of these:

The VALUE of the last NUMERIC value in Col_A:
=LOOKUP(10^99,A:A)

The VALUE of the last TEXT cell in Col_A
=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),A:A)

The VALUE of the last NON-BLANK, NON-ZERO cell in a COLUMN range
=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A100<0),A1:A100)

The VALUE of the last NON-BLANK cell in a COLUMN range
=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:A100<""),A1:A100)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"SMH" wrote in message
Within one workbook, I'm trying to have one tab read off another using a
formula. I need the "Summary" tab to display the last cell with data (not
null) in a particular column. For example, column A has data populated
from
A2:A50, I want to show A50. Any suggestions?