Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cmatera cmatera is offline

Default Calculating Time with Date/Time checking in formula

On Aug 11, 8:28*am, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote:
Hi

Maybe
=if(month(date_cell)=month(previous_date),max(bala nce,0)+10,balance)

where date_cell and previous_date are the cell references holding your
dates.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"cmatera" wrote in message

I have a spreadsheet where I need to calculate the time off that
people have acquired throughout the pay period. People ET or Earn Time
at a set rate at the beginning of each month. *Also people have an ET
begining balance which is also set at the begining of each month AND
may be zero.

So for example Joe might earn time at a right of 10.0 hours each
month. *However he might have an ET balance of 0 currently.

Here's how the spreadsheet is currently setup:

Each day has 3 columns for example:

7/28/08
ET * *USED * *BALANCE
- * * * *2 * * * * * *-3

This example assumes that Joe has a 0 ET beginning balance and has
used two hours of time thus giving him a negative for the day.

If on 7/29/08 Joe uses an additional two hours we'd want to have that
added to the last balance to give us -4 etc

Here's where the problem comes in. *If on 7/31/08 the Balance is
Negative for example

7/31/08
ET * * USED * *BALANCE
- * * * * 0 * * * * * * -3

Then on 8/1/08 When the New ET Rate (10) kicks in here's what happens

ET * * USED * * BALANCE

OR -3 +10-0 = 7 * The result should be 10 since it is a NEW month.

If Joe had a positive balance it should be
3+10-0=13

Does anyone know how to do this via formula?

Thanks
Chris

Thanks - I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out!