Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default VLOOKUP

Make your range absolute:

=VLOOKUP(A34, Sheet2!$A$2:$B$518,2,FALSE)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Vidya" wrote in message

I was trying to use VLOOKUP, to check whether the data for employees in
the
1st worksheet exists in the 2nd sheet as well.

I realise that when I drag the formula to ensure that the same formula can
be used for all the rows below, the formula tends to change the table
array
destination also along with the lookup value. The formula for the first
row
looks like this -

=vlookup(A34, Sheet2!A2:B518,2,false)

When I drag this formula it changes to -

=vlookup(A35, Sheet2!A3:B519,2,false)

I want the lookup value to change from A34 to A35, but I do not wish the
table array to change from Sheet2!A2:B518 to Sheet2!A3:B519.

Would you be able to let me know what needs to be done here? Where am I
going wrong?

Thanks in advance & Regards
Vidya