Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default how do you remove leading spaces etc in cells?

Please top-post when responding to one of my posts.

Did you re-enter the formula after formatting to General?

CTRL + `(backquote)..................maybe you are in "formula view"

Gord

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:01:26 +0200, Anti-Spam wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 06:35:56 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

If you see the formula and not the result it would mean that the cell is
formatted as Text.

Format to General and reenter the formula by F2 then ENTER.

=TRIM(C4)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:52:17 +0200, Anti-Spam wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:55:01 -0700, Brad
wrote:

assume cell c4 has " alan parsons project"

in cell d4 =trim(c4) would remove the first spaces

At the same time

=proper(trim(c4)) would yield Alan Parsons Project - without the leading
spaces...

If you don't have numbers in your titles - you could simply find and replace
0 with nothing, then find and replace 1 with nothing ... find and replace 9
with nothing. If you have numbers in your titles - this method will get rid
of information you want to keep.

if you have numbers in your titles - is there something right afterthe track
number (like a "."? if so you can find and replace 0. with nothing .....

Sorry Brad, but still struggling.

I assume you mean insert a new column next to the one I am trying to
edit (Column C), and place results in this column (Column D).
Using the Paste Function button
Under Function Catagory I select "Text"
Under Function Name I select "Trim" for example
In the Trim Box, I type the cell number of the text I am trying to
edit (C4 for example)
In the "Formula Results =" box, it shows the text corectly edited, ie
the spaces removed, but when OK'ing this, the result in D4 shown on
the spreadsheet, is the formula (=trim(C4), not the result.
Have tried formatting the cells columns to text and to general with no
luck have also unlocked the columns with no luck (even though no
password is set-up for the spreadsheet).

Please could you help me further?

Sorry, but already tried formatting to "General".