Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Can I use non-numeric x axis data in excel charts?

That's generally a line chart, but if the same category appears multiple
times in a series, it's not what you want.

You can assign numerical values to the categories (1, 2, 3), plot the Y
values against these assigned values, then add a dummy axis with the
category labels:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"JOHN PERKINS 31" <JOHN PERKINS wrote in
message ...
I need to show numeric data on the y-axis versus categories, not numbers,
on
the x-axis in a scatterdiagram (in other words there will be several
different y-axis data poits for each x-axis category) . How do I do this
in
an excel scatter graph?