Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
aj scott aj scott is offline

Default Conditional Formatting of numbers, but not text, in recurring rows

Situation:
I have a 2007 spreadsheet of repeating groups of 5 distinct rows, ie,
numbers in any one of the five represent something different from each of the
others tho' the values may be similar. Any one of the five rows may also have
random cells with text.
I have four "cell value" rules that work as I want -- their ranges and
priority effectively allowing them to act across all rows without conflict.
Problem:
Additionally I want to test for, & CF, Row 1 values < 116, but another row
has values that would be affected.
What I did:
--- New Rule 'Format only cells that contain' 'Cell Value' | 'less
than' | 116
--- specified the formatting
--- [Still in New Formatting Rule] 'Use a formula...' =MOD(ROW()-9,5)=0
[there are 8 rows of intro above the data]
--- OKed my way out.
--- This is the last rule evaluated
What's right:
--- Only Row 1 values < 116 are thus formatted
What's wrong:
--- All text in Row 1 meets that criterion! Actually, I'm sure it's not
paying attention to the "< 116", only to the MOD.

I don't want text to be CFd. Can I "AND" in a test for "ISNUMBER"? I can't
use ROW with it, because it's the cell level that has to be tested.
I tried preceding the problem rule with a rule to test for text, but it's
really bogus, =ISTEXT(CELL(0)), and doesn't work. Help, anyone?