Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Brad Brad is offline

Default how do you remove leading spaces etc in cells?

assume cell c4 has " alan parsons project"

in cell d4 =trim(c4) would remove the first spaces

At the same time

=proper(trim(c4)) would yield Alan Parsons Project - without the leading
spaces...

If you don't have numbers in your titles - you could simply find and replace
0 with nothing, then find and replace 1 with nothing ... find and replace 9
with nothing. If you have numbers in your titles - this method will get rid
of information you want to keep.

if you have numbers in your titles - is there something right afterthe track
number (like a "."? if so you can find and replace 0. with nothing .....

--
Wag more, bark less

"Anti-Spam" wrote:

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 07:12:01 -0700, Brad
wrote:

Using the find/replace all feature of Excel (Excel 2007 labels this
"Find&Select")

Just don't enter anything in the "replace with" line and that will get rid
of the trebles and the .zip - make sure that you select the appropriate range
(or the entire worksheet)

If you use the =trim() function that will get rid of leading spaces.....

Thanks Brad, that was brilliant, I have used the replace command and
its done a great job. Used it for some other cleaning operations, the
Database is starting to look great.

Can't though, get the hang of the =trim() command.
Is there any sites you could point me towards, that explain it in a
bit more detail, I tried using the Help option, but I am too thick to
understand what they are trying to tell me.

Is there an option to remove numbers only, some of the record titles
have the track number proceding them, I don't mind if I lose the odd
track name, that has a valid number at the begining of its title?

Lastly is there an option to Capatalise all the first letters of words
in a cell?

By the way started this job some 7 hours ago, nearly there now, good
job I am on holiday this week.

I am using Excel 2002

Mark.