Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey Duke Carey is offline

Default Deleting Visible Rows

Under Data-Filter there is Advanced Filter that allows you to filter
matching rows to a new location. The difference is that you have to create &
use a Criteria range, rather than the filter dropdowns, so it is a little
more work initially.

If you wanted to filter an Address database on the ZIP column, you would
copy the ZIP header to an empty spot on your sheet and immediately below the
ZIP header enter the desired ZIP. For multiple ZIPs use multiple rows. Then
use the Advanced filter, indicate the Criteria range, check Copy to a new
location, and indicate where that should be.

For more complex criteria see the help file

"Confused" wrote:

If I filter a list, the records that do not meet that criteria are hidden.
The hidden records are the records I want to keep.

If I select the visible rows or records and right click to delete them, will
all of the hidden records return when I view all records in the list?

In terms of training, would it be "safer" to teach users to sort by that
criteria so that the records are together, and then delete those records?

Is there a function that allows you to filter and select at the same time in
order to accomplish deleting certain records from the list?

This question almost seems backwards to me. For example, an even better
approach would be to do an advanced filter on what you want to another file
so that you retain the original list somewhere.
--
Thanks.
Confused