Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default How do I Designating a number with letters?

Insert|Name|Define, for example, say your numbers 82 and 6493 are in column
E, under the aforementioned menu area, you might find:
Names in workbook: DT
Refers to: $E1
This means it will always refer to column E, but since the row is relative
(no dollar sign), it will vary by row. For example, on row 17, you have =DT.
It will populate whatever value is in cell E17.

--
John C

"dgb82" wrote:

Winter Delta T = 82 Deg. F
Heating Design Degree Day = 6493 heating degree-days

In a work sheet, there are calculations that designate the letters dt or dd
as the number 82 or 6483.

EX:
Btu/h
=D9*E9*DT

Btu/h
352,469

Or just:

when you type =DT in a cell, the number 82 is put into that cell in the work
sheet.

I would much appreciate it if some one can help me understand how this is
done so I can replicate this in the future.

Thanks,

Don