Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Getting averages from a column

You can use SUMIF and normally enter (assuming no -ve values with the
COUNTIF):

=SUMIF(A1:A8,"<1E100")/COUNTIF(A1:A8,"0")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JMB" wrote in message
assuming your data is in a1:a8 and you want to exclude 0 values, try

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A8),A1:A8))/COUNTIF(A1:A8,"0")

entered using Cntrl+Shift+Enter

"tommy" wrote:

Hi, I would like to work out the average from a column of numbers but
where
no data is available, it reads #N/A or #REF! So I can not use the
automatic
system found in auto sum, is there any way around this. Also I think any
average would be influenced by any zeros in the column, Can any one help.
Thanks in advance, Tommy.