Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
matt3542 matt3542 is offline

Default Determining the text mode from a variety of data types

Hi Pete, thanks for spending the time helping out, that worked perfectly,
many thanks, Matt

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Ah, that kind of mode !!

One way (off the top of my head). Copy that column to another sheet,
ensure you have a header in A1 (insert a new row at the top if
necessary and type a word in A1), then sort the data, so that your
numbers are bunched at the top (and you can easily delete the rows
with them in) such that you are left just with the text entries.
Highlight all the data, including the header, and click on Data |
Filter | Advanced Filter. Your range should already be identified, but
you want to choose Unique records only and Copy to another location -
put in C1 as the destination and click OK. Now you can delete columns
A and B, leaving you with a unique list in alphabetical order in
column A. In B2 you can enter this formula:

=COUNTIF(Sheet1!A:A,A2)

then copy this down, to give you a count of each of the text values in
the other sheet. From here you can easily use the MODE function to
find the most common.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 30, 3:51 pm, matt3542
wrote:
Hi Pete, ideally the value returned would be "Ear Infection" as this is the
text string that appears the most.

Thanks
Matt

"Pete_UK" wrote:
So what is it that you want to end up with?

Pete

On Jul 30, 3:31 pm, matt3542
wrote:
Dear Forum,

I would be very grateful if anyone can provide a solution to the following
problem;

I have a dataset as per the example below that consists of text and numbers.
I am trying to determine the mode based on the text entries and not the
number entries. In the example below the entry "ear infection" would
represent the text mode as it appears the most amount of times. The number
values represent sub totals.

Ear infection
Ear infection
Sinusitis