Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
matt3542 matt3542 is offline

Default Determining the text mode from a variety of data types

Hi RagDyeR,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it is returning 0 as the result -
apologies I should of added that there are more empty cells than completed
cells, i.e

a1 blank
a2 blank
a3 blank
a4 3
a5 cat
a6 cat
a7 blank

Ideally the expected text string mode would be "cat" but as per the above it
is returning 0. Please can you advise if there is a way around this?

Thanks
Matt

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Try this - works for text and/or numbers:

=INDEX(A1:A10,MODE(MATCH(A1:A10&"",A1:A10&"",0)))

This formula counts empty cells as zero, so if you sized the range where
empty rows outnumbered those with values, you'd get a 0 return.

--

HTH,

RD

"matt3542" wrote in message
Hi Pete, ideally the value returned would be "Ear Infection" as this is the
text string that appears the most.

Thanks
Matt

"Pete_UK" wrote:

So what is it that you want to end up with?

Pete

On Jul 30, 3:31 pm, matt3542
wrote:
Dear Forum,

I would be very grateful if anyone can provide a solution to the
following
problem;

I have a dataset as per the example below that consists of text and
numbers.
I am trying to determine the mode based on the text entries and not the
number entries. In the example below the entry "ear infection" would
represent the text mode as it appears the most amount of times. The
number
values represent sub totals.

Ear infection
Ear infection