Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Susienak Susienak is offline

Default Sort by how many addresses per zip code

and after I get the unique zips I dont understand what youre saying to do: in
the cell next to the first zip I type "=CONTIF"........ and then copy it down
for all the other zips... and then what? How is that going to tell me how
many addresses I had per each zip code wehn I removed all of the duplicates?
Am I taking ths back to the first list? As I stated, I dont work very often
with excel so can you explain this more clearly. Thanks.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

Since you're in 2007 - copy the ZIP code column to an empty place on the
worksheet or a new worksheet, then select the entire column. Now go to the
Data tab and click on the Remove Duplicates button. That'll leave you with
the unique ZIPS.

Now, next to the first ZIP in the unique list, use the formula

=COUNTIF(range with ALL THE ZIPS, cell with the first unique zip)

copy it down

"Susienak" wrote:

I have a very large list of addresses that I have sorted by zip code. Now I
want to take the zip code column and find out how many addresses per zip
code. Example: there are 200 different zip codes, zip code 12478 has 14
repeats, zip code 12903 has 67 repeats...... and can it chart each zip code
with its repeat?. Is this a sort, filter, or a combin function. Can someone
give me a formula and instruct me where to go in Excel 2007. I know this
should be a simple formula but I hardly ever work with excel.