Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Format the command for the Currency button

You do not have to "edit the currency button". In fact doing so is a bit
more complicated in Excel 2007.

When you click the "$" button in the Number group on the Home tab (this is
what I assume you're referring to), it applies the Accounting number format
to the selected cells. So, for the current workbook, all you have to do is
edit the Accounting style.

Since this is a bit of a hassle, run this macro instead once in each
workbook you want this change in.

Sub ChgAcctingStyle()
ActiveWorkbook.Styles("Currency").NumberFormat = _
"_($* #,##0.00_);[Red]_($* (#,##0.00);_($* ""-""??_);_(@_)"
End Sub

If you're not in the US I assume you can make whatever adjustments you need
for your locale.

--
Jim
"Murray" wrote in message
In Excel 2003, there was a way to change the commands linked to a button. So
for instance, I like making my negative numbers red, so I reformatted the
Currency button to make all the negative numbers red.

I now have 2007 and I am battling. I have found a way to edit the Currency
button but it does not keep the setting if I close Excel.

Please can somebody advise how I can make this permanent

Thanks
Murray