Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Can I Use a Count Function for Text?

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve Scatt" wrote in message
Thanks Biff,

tried it again and made sure no unseen characters and it seems to work.
Cheers.

"Steve Scatt" wrote:

I have 2 separate columns and I am trying to count the nu,ber of
occurances
for a 2 different values. i.e. how many times admin column C and sick
Column
D show up. Tried the SUMPRODUCT and it doesn't seem to work. I get a
value of
0 when there should be 3.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="A")*(A1:A100<="D")*(B1:B100 ="psychiatrist"))
--
David Biddulph

"Nick Brunetti" wrote in
message
I am trying to count a cell if criteria from two separate columns are
met.

For example, my first column has the letters A, B, C, D or no letters
at
all. The second column has different descriptive words (i.e.
internal
medicine, psychiatrist, etc). I would like a cell to be counted if a
cell
in
the first column contains an A or B or C or D AND a cell in the
second
colum
contains the word "psychiatrist".

What is the best function/formula to use for this problem?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*@*")

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my
addy)

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
Aha... Sumproduct is not a function I ever tried

I have a column of text. Some cells contain the character "@"
with a
space
preceding the rest of text in the cell. I realize the @ could be
considered
an operator so it is preceded with an apostrophe to designate
text. I
want
to sum the cells that have the "@"

Thanks

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You'll need to be a bit clearer as to what you're trying to do.
If
COUNTIF
or SUMIF doesn't do the job, you may want to try SUMPRODUCT.
--
David Biddulph

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
I have been trying to calculate a column of Text in order to sum
contents
by
certain criteria

I have tried Count, CoutA and CountIF and cannot be able to get
anything
work.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? :) Can this be done?

Thanks much.