Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John[_22_] John[_22_] is offline

Default Search for data and return cell reference

See Help information for the function =Match()

Returns the relative position of an item in an array that matches a
specified value in a specified order. Use MATCH instead of one of the LOOKUP
functions when you need the position of an item in a range instead of the
item itself.
HTH
John
"exoticdisease" wrote in message
I would like a forumla that searches my spreadsheet for a word, e.g. "july"
and returns the reference of the cell that it is in, so I can use it for
the
rest of a lookup formula.

Any help would be most appreciated,
Rob