Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M-A M-A is offline

Default Ignoring lines in a pivot table

Browny,

Which version of excel are you using?
If I remember correctly it isn't possible to have blank cells in the data
range for pivot tables, so can i assume that if a line doesn't have an
invoice number then there is something else in the cell (a zero or a phrase,
such as 'not allocated')?

The other alternative is that rows without an invoice number are not in your
data range for the pivot table. If that is the case, could I ask if it is
possible for you to put an entry into the blank cells. Personally i usually
use 'NA'. (can do this using auto filter, choose blanks and then update the
fields)

- If you can make the cell have something consistent in it, then all you
have to do is include the invoice column in your data range. For this
description I will assume you used NA.
- You can then drag invoice number accross as 'drop row fields here' or
'drop column fields here' (whichever works best for your layout).
- Finally, click on the little arrow next to your invoice number. You will
see a list of all your invoice numbers and your 'NA' value. Uncheck the NA
box. Now only those entries that have an invoice number will be counted in
your pivot table.

There are other options, e.g, creating a copy sheet and deleting those rows
without an invoice number, but that only works if you have static data.

hope that makes sense, and hope it helps!
M-A
PS - Answer based on my use of Excel 2003. If something doesn't work could
you confirm which version you are using.

"Browny" wrote:

I have a large sheet and a pivot table to view the data.
i'd like to ignore some lines, e.g any line with an invoice number against
it. this would only display the un-invoiced items on the pivot table. is this
possible.
Thank You in advance for any suggestions.
--
Browny