Peter Rooney

John,

my last answer, just to be sure, you need to subtract 1 when you've
found your space - thuis, if the space occurs at the fourth position, you
only want to see the first 3 characters, and so on. This version also adds
the appropriate suffix onto the end of your formula. Wish I'd thought of it
first time round!

=LEFT(M30,FIND(" ",M30)-1)-LEFT(M31,FIND(" ",M31)-1)&" Mhz"

Pete

"John Sayaff" wrote:

I have measurement data from an ATE system where the results are given as
both a number and 'unit' letters for example 22.3 dB, 2.109 MHz, 12.06 V and
0.175 A. To calculate temperature drift from these readings, I need to
subtract cells that contain both a number and a letter i.e.

2.012 MHz - 2.005 MHz = 0.007
does not matter if the answer contains the 'units' or not.

anyone know how I can achieve this ?