Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove[_2_] Harlan Grove[_2_] is offline

Default VLOOKUP for multiple colums

MagicBill wrote...
I am trying to return a number (1-9) for a letter.

For instance:

A J S 1
B K T 2
C L U 3
D M V 4
E N W 5
F O X 6
G P Y 7
H Q Z 8
I R 9

I can do the first column, but when I try the second or third columns, I get
an error value. *So how can I type in a W and get it to return a 5, an I to
return a 9, and so on?

If this is really just a simple single letter lookup, you've already
received two working answers. OTOH, if this is an oversimplified
example and you need to use different characters or strings, then if
your table above were in A1:C9, try the array formula

=MAX((A1:C9=entry_cell_reference_here)*ROW(A1:C9))-MIN(ROW(A1:C9))+1