Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Dynamic Custom Number Format

Here is an idea.
A1: this will contain your units of measure (other than pounds). Easiest if
entered with a space in front of it. Say your unit of measure is HRS, you
would put a space followed by HRS in A1.
A2: This is the quantity that will be added to unit of measure.
A3: =TEXT(A2,"0.0")&$A$1

whenever you wish to calculate with the value, you would use the following:
=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A3,$A$1,""))

--
John C

"Cordell" wrote:

Is it possible to have text appended to a value entered in a cell that is
dynamic. For example, I know that using the custom number format 0.0" lbs"
would give me 4.0 lbs when entering the value 4 into the cell. Is there a
way to have the text "lbs" be dynamic based on an input elsewhere in the
spreadsheet?

Thanks.

--
Cordell