Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
M Kan M Kan is offline

Default Drop Down List

Just use a LEFT(Cell Ref,1) to get the number
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"Pete" wrote:

On 24 Jul, 18:11, Gary''s Student
wrote:
Use two cells:

The first cell will have a data validation pull-down to enter the text.
The second cell will have a VLOOKUP() formula to lookup the correct number.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007j

"Pete" wrote:
is it possible to choose an item from a dropdown list which will enter
a different value other than that chosen. Why I want to do this is as
follows:

We have 20 steps in our Process and each one is assigned a number e.g

1 = Forming
2 = Drying
3 = Paper
4 = Cutter

etc etc

I would like to display the Text in a Drop down for that Cell but
enter the corresponding Number into the Cell. If I chose Drying I
would like to see the number 2 appear in the Cell, or if I chose
Cutter I would like the Number 4 to be entered in the Cell.

Thanks

Pete- Hide quoted text -

Sheets is already designed, I only have one Cell to work with