Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Lookup Formula - I think?

If the cell is empty on Status, it should display 0, not #N/A. The example I
gave only covers 7 columns (B through H), so if you have more than 7 columns
of data, be sure to widen the base. If you are copying the formula across,
you may want to first 'anchor' the lookup value, so your formula would start
off like

=VLOOKUP($B12, .....
this way the column B remains the same (as it is the constant that you are
basing all of your lookups on).
--
John C

"KC" wrote:

John, thanks for the help. The formula you gave me below works. One more
question though, if some of the fields are empty, the formula gives me a
result of #N/A....is there something that I can add to the formula so it will
not display anything if the cell is blank?

"John C" wrote:

in B12, you would type your 5512....

Then in C12
=VLOOKUP(B12,Status!$B$2:$H$1000,2,FALSE)

expand your table ($B$2:$H$1000) as necessary, and change the column
reference (2) as necessary.

Currently, this would pull the data in your Status tab from cell C12 (column
2 of the table $b$2:$h$1000)
--
John C

"KC" wrote:

I have a tab called Status with one column with unique numbers in column B.
On my 2nd tab called Triple, the column headings are all the same as on the
Status tab. What I'd like to do, is on the Triple tab, if I type in one of
the unique numbers from the Status tab, I'd like all the information on that
row, populated on the Triple Tab.

So, for instance, if Status tab B12 says 5512 and on the Triple tab in cell
B2 I type 5512, I want all the information that is already populated on the
Status tab row 12, to be populated in the Triple tab row 2.

I thought maybe a lookup formula might work, but its not. So maybe I'm
going about this all wrong. Can anyone help?