Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_971_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_971_] is offline

Default Formula to return column letters

A little shorter (and 5 function calls less)...

=SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(),2),"$1","")

Rick

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
This works in xl2003....
=LEFT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN(),2),FIND("$",ADDRESS(R OW(),COLUMN(),2))-1)

--
John C

"DoubleZ" wrote:

In Excel 2007, I need to use the letters of the column that I am in in
the
formula bar. However, I don't need a particular cell, just the letters.
Because of this, the letters do not change as I use Autofill down the
row. I
am using over 500 columns, so I really need for Autofill to do this for
me.
Basically, in the formula bar, I have "A" in part of my formula (when I
am in
column A), but when I autofill, every column still has "A" rather than
updating. Is there a formula that returns the column letters of the
current
position?