Gord Dibben

A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
of times.

F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode. SHIFT + F8 will put you
in "ADD" mode.

With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse. This is used to select
non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag. All cells will be selected.

If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:17:08 -0700, "screwie"
wrote:

Hi all,
This morning when I started my Excel 2003 and I tried to work the worksheet
I found that when I pressed the left mouse button it would select various
cells (as if the SHIFT key was pressed all the time.
Tried to turn the Scroll/Num Lock OFF and it didnt work. This is on a
portable computer. I have had this problem before but cant remember how I
fixed.

Help please