shabnam

Default scatter plot & label for a data point

I wrote this question several days ago, but was not able to get a solution to
the problem. Apologies for repeating it, but I am still hopeful that someone
knows how to do this. It seems like an important aspect of using charts, and
Excel *certainly* must have a way of dealing with this.

I have three columns of data as follows:
Name Value1 Value2
a 1 2
b 3 4
c 5 6

when i do a scatter plot, i can move the cursor to a specific item - let's
say for "b" above - and it shows ("3" 3,4). What I need is for it to show
("b" 3,4). I know that you can have all labels explicitly shown on the
chart, but i have over a thousand data points and doing that would make the
chart useless. I need to be able to find the label of some data points
though, and would like to use the cursor to see the name for that data point.
There must be a way to do this, but i have been looking and using "help" to
no avail.

Please help, and i will be eternally grateful.
-shabnam