Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Christina Byrne[_2_] Christina Byrne[_2_] is offline

Default Creating a Unique Reference from 2 cells to use vlook up

I need to create multiple unique references eg;
Spreadsheet 1
A B C
100 01/07/2008 LONDON
457 26/12/2001 BIRMINGHAM
001 15/01/1999 GLASGOW
Spreadsheet 2
001 04/02/1997 ORANGE
001 15/01/1999 BLUE
352 25/12/2010 YELLOW

Can I match the combination of number 001 and date of 15/01/1999 and pull
back 'BLUE' into my first spreadsheet to give the result
001 15/01/1999 GLASGOW BLUE

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(Sheet2!A:A,MATCH(1,(Sheet2!B2:B200=100)*(Sh eet2!C2:C200=--"2008-07-02"),0)

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

--
HTH

Bob

"Christina Byrne" <Christina wrote in
message ...
I need to pull data from a 2nd spreadsheet with vlookup where my reference
is
not unique (there is a non unique numerical reference and a non unique
date
but combined these would be unique). I would like to combine a 3 digit
number
and a date to create a unique reference e.g. '100' and '01/07/2008'.
Is it possible to do this?
Or how else can I pull data from one spreadsheet to another when the
numerical references are not unique?