Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
MartinW[_2_] MartinW[_2_] is offline

Default Resolving Polynomial Trendline Formula for Chart

Hi Katie,

Check out this site for the equations of Trendlines.
http://j-walk.com/ss///excel/tips/tip101.htm

Here is an example using the equations for 2nd order polynomial.

Say your X data is in A1:A10 and your Y data is in B1:B10

Put these formulae in place
In D1 put =INDEX(LINEST(B1:B10,A1:A10^{1,2}),1)
In E1 put =INDEX(LINEST(B1:B10,A1:A10^{1,2}),1,2)
In F1 put =INDEX(LINEST(B1:B10,A1:A10^{1,2}),1,3)

Now in say D3 put your given X value.
This formula in E3 will then return the corresponding Y value
=(D1*D3^2)+(E1*D3)+F1
this is just the formula that your chart has displayed using the
calculated references. (In the form y = ax^2 + bx + c)

HTH
Martin

"soccerkatie" wrote in message
Thanks - "resolved" is a very porr choice of words. I just would like to
use
the equation to produce the "next value" of y given x. Guess what I'm
really
thrown by what does "E" represent in the equation provided (below)?

Thanks for your patience

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "be resolved"
To get the trendline values into cells see
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"soccerkatie" wrote in message
How would the following Chart equation be resolved in Excel:

y = 147832x2 - 150195x + 2E+07

Thanks!