Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
M Kan M Kan is offline

Default Counting rows that meet conditions in multiple columns

Odd, your second formula works just fine for me, which would make me think
that may be something is going on with the inputs. Are there extra spaces in
the "x" or in the "renewed"?
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"belleinhell" wrote:

I want to count how many people who attended an event hold a certain status.
I've tried a number of formulas, including:

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C493="x")*(A2:A493="renewed"))
and =SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:C493="x"),--(A2:A493="renewed"))
(the "x" marks whether someone attended the event)

=SUMPRODUCT(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Asia Trail", B1:B493)),
IF(A2:A493="renewed",1)))
where "Asia Trail" is one of several text values in a cell

and I continue to get incorrect numbers. In other similar cells, I get zero
when just looking at the sheet I know the number has to be in the 100's.