Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Cant use indirect() and dynamic ranges together?

You are getting a bit like Harlan now!<bg

That's a tremendous compliment to me but I'm sure Harlan would balk! Really,
I'm not worthy. <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
C'mon Biff, we're talking about location (address) here.

You are getting a bit like Harlan now!<bg

RD

"T. Valko" wrote in message
there's nothing "static" about his formula.

Nothing?

Assuming you're correct about the relative column, the height and width
is still static!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Unless he made a typo in his example, there is something special, and
there's nothing "static" about his formula.

His *relative* column reference in the Offset formula makes the
calculating range location relative to the location of any formula using
the named range - dependant on which column was in focus during the
creation of the named range.

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!
"T. Valko" wrote in message
INDIRECT requires a text representation of a *valid reference*. The
OFFSET formula does not meet this requirement. When you call
SGDCalendar you're actually calling the named OFFSET *formula* which is
not a text representation of a valid reference.

About the only way I know of to get around this invovles using the
CHOOSE function. However, since you're concatentating strings to build
the named range this adds complexity to the mix. I love complexity! <g

There's nothing "special" about your named range, it's just a static
range. Why don't you just use:

SGDCalendar =Sheetname!$A$1:$A$4000

Replace "Sheetname" with the actual sheet name.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nashism" wrote in message

I have defined a range using the following syntax:

SGDCalendar=Offset(A$1,0,0,4000,1) in a worksheet

I have similarly defined other names like MYRCalendar, IDRCalendar
primarily because I have other data that is labeled starting SGD, MYR
etc that I would like to combine this with.

now when I try to get a value from the range as INDEX(SGDCalendar,1,1)
it works correctly

but if I do something Iike INDEX(Indirect("SGD"&"Calendar"),1,1) it
gives me an #REF! error (note that "SGD" and "Calendar" will be
strings that will come from elsewhere in my workbook)

I have troubled many people around me to solve this but cant seem to
get any further. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ciao
Nash