Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default How could I share a custom toolbar on the newtwok for all users?

Saved from a previous post from someone named Formido:

Don't use a workbook named personal.xls (or personal.xla). If you share this
same workbook with others, then those users may have to decide to use your
version of personal.xl* or their own.

Call it something nice:
FormidoUtils.xls (or .xla)

I'd save it as an addin (*.xla) and store a single copy in a nice common network
location and refer to that location via its UNC path
(\\aaaa\bbbb\formidoutils.xla). I wouldn't use a mapped drive--others may not
connect using the same letter.

If that's not possible, I'd ask all the users to store the addin in a folder on
their C: drive--and make that folder name exactly the same for all users:

c:\Formido\formidoUtils.xla

Then any UDF used in a cell will always find the function in the same
location--it'll make working with links and users easier.

And if you have subroutines that need to be run from that addin, you'll have to
give the user a way to run them.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

Eric wrote:

I need to share a custom toolbar on the network so that when multiple users
use a common terminal with Excel, the custom toolbar will appear. I would
prefer having a single custom toolbar file so that there is only one file to
update from time to time and to make sure that everyone's toolbar is
identical.

I have Excel 2003. I believe something has to be done with the registry but
what I tried so far using instructions from Excel 97 hasn't worked so I'm out
of options.

--

Dave Peterson