Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default need to learn it all... quickly!

Exactly. I was one of the first to decry ziploc-chic's stance, and then as I
saw the thread grow, I thought to myself, what could be the situation here.

I feel bad for the beating ziploc took, and that I took part in.
I like to think that my moral/ethical value is of a high enough standard
that I would never do what ziploc did, nor will I ever steal.

But tell me, if you are literally starving, and had no money/nor chance of
money to get groceries, would you steal a loaf of bread? If your kids were
hungry? I'd like to say that I wouldn't, but I am not in that desperate of a
circumstance, and I have many friends if I was in dire need. Again, I didn't
mean to get all grim on this post, but not a single one of us are in ziploc's
shoes, and all of us, bar none, have said we would never do that (and I think
what I had the most problem with was the flippant remark made by ziploc), but
until we are there, until we are the ones on the cutting room floor, with
nothing in the wallet or the bank, no food in the fridge, can you tell me
honestly, you wouldn't steal a loaf of bread?

--
John C

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

So.........what you just said John, is

I would never steal anything "but I might if I needed it"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:46:01 -0700, John C <johnc@stateofdenial wrote:

Like I said, I don't condone it, I wouldn't do it, but the saying goes that
until you have walked in another person's shoes.

For example, I would never steal anything, however, if I were starving, had
no money, and no hope of getting money in the near future for food, could I
still say I would never steal something and thus starve to death? I don't
mean to be so dramatic, but you really can't say what you would or wouldn't
do unless you were under the same circumstances.

Just an FYI, I know that I have lost out on 2 positions in the past because
someone else with supposed similar qualifications was chosen over me, then,
after I was employed elsewhere, those companies had to go back and hire
again. So I have been on the wrong end.