Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Emily Emily is offline

Default Handling cells with multiple data entries

Thanks. I did what you told me to do, but with the Frequency function it only
returns the frequency for the first bin, not the entire histogram. Also, I
did set up the bins prior to running the histogram, but I'm still getting the
weird results with the decimal points.

"Emily" wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a histogram using bins 0 through 13 and data which
looks like this:
13
1
6
1,4,11
1,3
12
1
10
1
2
4

The instances where there is a comma between entries are when there are
multiple answers to the question. How do I tell Excel to count every entry in
every cell for the histogram?

Also, I've been trying to solve another histogram mystery and thus far no
one on the message board has been able to help. I have data ranging from 0
through 8. I have bins 0 through 8. Yet when I enter this into the Histogram
window, it gives me an output like this:
Bin Frequency
0 1
1.142857143 21
2.285714286 7
3.428571429 5
4.571428571 7
5.714285714 6
6.857142857 1
More 10

First, what's with the decimals? And why "More" instead of "7" and "8"?

Thanks!
Emily