Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom[_2_] Peo Sjoblom[_2_] is offline

Default Match forst four letters

You would need to put the LEFT function on the range where the lookup/match
is made

=MATCH(A3,LEFT(D3:D6,4),0)

as an example

needs to be array entered

Peo Sjoblom

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
I am working with a list of names, which includes clients and subsidiaries
of
those clients, and the subsidiaries names are always slightly different,
but
the first four letters of each name are the same for all of these groups.
So
now I have the first four letters of each name, all dollars that each
client
has spent, in a pivot table, and now that the names are summed in the
pivot
table, I want to extract the full client's name so I can match it with the
total amount spent. I am thinking the function will be something like
this:
=IF(NOT(ISERROR(LEFT(MATCH(A5:A250,C5:C250,0),4))) ,C5:C250,"")

...but this doesn't work. I'd appreciate it if someone could offer some
assistance. If I derive the answer before anyone else I'll post back.

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy