Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pallaver pallaver is offline

Default Finding Number Inside a Cell

I don't know enough about VBA yet to do this without help.

I have a column of variable tolerances which have one of the following
forms:

5 ST 5.3 (aka number, space, "ST", space, desired number)
5 +-6 (aka number, space, +- symbol, another numberm)
5 +4/-2 (aka number, space, positive number, /, negative number)

I need to be able to extract the tolerance numbers in order to use
them for conditional formatting.

I would want the following from the above:
5.3 (there is a set tolerance off this number, so all I need is this
number, I don't need 5 at all).
5 and 6 to turn into -1 to 11 (the max/min of the tolerance).
5, 4, and -2 to turn into 3 to 9 (the max/min of the tolerance).

This surely involves finding spaces, /, etc., and determining what is
what, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting things to work in VBA.

Suggestions and existing code to improve much appreciated.

Thanks, NP