Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cjlatta cjlatta is offline

Default how to count if cell "contains" a word

This looks really good to for another part of this problem. However, I can't
figure out how to do the "double find." When I enter the formula as written,
I get a Value! error. Do I need an extra set of parenthesis? Using your
example, I'm assuming that in C1, the result would be 1 (using the values I
have listed in my example), in C2 the result would be 2, in C3 the result
would be 2, in C4 the result would be 1 and in C5 the result would be 2?

Thanks!

"robzrob" wrote:

On Jul 11, 11:20 pm, cjlatta
wrote:
(Using Excel2003/WinXP) I am trying to count the number of times 2 values
are in a cell. The string may contain the values ",abcd, abcf," or ",abcf,
abcd," The other part that's stumping me is the string could be ",abcd,
abcf, abcg," (or longer). I am wanting to know the number of times the cell
contains "abcd" and "abcf" no matter what order it's in. I will try to show
an example below:

Values
1,abcd,
2 ,abcd, abcf,
3 ,abcd, abcf, abcg,
4 ,abcd, abcg,
5 ,abcf, abcd,

I would want to include cell 2, cell 3, and cell 5 in my count, but not 1 or
4. Can I do this?
Any help greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind having another column and assuming the 'words' are
in B1, B2, etc, in C1 put =FIND("abcd",B1)*FIND("abcf",B1) and copy
down. Then at the bottom of column C, assuming 10 rows, put
=COUNTIF(C1:C10,"0").