Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jacinthe Jacinthe is offline

Default need to learn it all... quickly!

Aside from the ethical issue (and if I was an employer, I'd probably know how
familiar you were with Excel based on jargon and terminology, not just
ability to write a formula or format a cell) ... it is certainly possible to
learn Excel in a week, but I'm doubtful of the retention of such learning.
If I were you, I'd go through as many of the tutorials as I could.

And FYI, you can get a tech job without the knowledge of a program, even
being honest about it. My last job required ADVANCED Crystal Reports
knowledge. When I started, I knew how to spell Crystal Reports, and that was
the extent of it. I told them this and still got the job ... based on my
honesty and willingness to learn - two employee traits that are highly
desireable. Just some thoughts.

"ziploc_chik" wrote:

Oh please.... spare me. Everyone fibs a BIT on their resumé. I've taught
myself the basics of other Microsoft software in an evening. I'm sure Excel
basics can't take more than a week. I'm a clever cookie. ;P

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you really think it fair to yourself or your employer to apply for a job
you are unqualified for.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"ziploc_chik" wrote in message
I've got a job interview for an office administration position in a week's
time. I've said that I'm familiar with all Microsoft Office applications
which is a bit of an exaggeration as I have never really used Excel that
much.

I have been using the MSN tutorials online and I'm finding them very
user-friendly, and easy to follow. However, there are almost forty
different
lessons and I won't have time to do them all. During my interview I have
been told I will be sitting a 20 minute test on Excel... which of the
lessons
would you suggest as the most necessary to study??

Kind thanks.