Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jane Doe[_3_] Jane Doe[_3_] is offline

Default Need Simple List...Multiple Columns and Multiple Worksheets

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote:

Jane
You're not doing anything wrong. The filter is built to work in only
one column. Having filtered the data in one column by grade, you can then
filter another column by another grade, but the second filter will work with
only the data that is visible from the first filter. So, basically, you
can't get there from here by filtering.
The only way I know that would work for you involves VBA (programming).
This might present a problem for you because, in order for VBA to find, say
all 3rd grade entries, all those entries would have to be exactly the same.
If your data fits this criteria, VBA would work just fine and would do what
you want in only seconds.
If this sounds like what you want, post back with some more detail about the
layout of your data. For instance, what is the maximum number of columns
that you have? Also, when VBA finds each instance of the criteria grade,
VBA will have to copy some/all of that row and place it somewhere. What do
you want copied? Where do you want this data to be placed? Perhaps in
another, maybe blank, sheet? Also, you say you have 3 worksheets. Do you
want VBA to search all 3 sheets for the criteria grade? If so, do you want
the result (the copied rows) separated by sheet or all bunched together?
Also, do you want the result sorted in some manner? What manner? HTH Otto
"Jane Doe" wrote in message
I have 3 worksheets (different resources) which all contain 2 to 4 columns
listing the grade level that each of that households child attends.

Example Columns: Name, Address, email, Grade (this may have 2-4 columns
depending on how many children, one may be in pre-k, one in 2nd and so on)

Name, Address, Grade (this could be 2-4 columns)
Jones, 777 Oates, (column 1) -pk, (column 2)- 3rd, (column3)- 6th

I need to pull from these worksheets by grade. A family may appear in more
than one grade list if they have more than one child. What is the best way
pull this data?

I tried to filter the columns but when I do it will only give me one
column
at a time in each worksheet. When I pull from the list say I want all 6th
graders it will only give me those in the 3rd column but not column 1 and
2.
What am I doing wrong?