Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech Jim Rech is offline

Default Precision As Displayed Has Failed Me--Help

Eric sent the workbook and it exhibited the problem exactly as he said.
Which is to say:

-Precision as Displayed was set.
-A cell, number formatted to show 1 decimal place, displayed 31.1 but the
formula bar showed 31.14 and a formula referencing the cell clearly showed
that Excel was using 31.14.
-No amount of Calcing, CalculateFullRebuild, etc. fixed this but pressing
F2, Enter did.

So, how did a user get 31.14 to stick in a cell formatted to show one
decimal place?

Eric mentioned a paste maybe being involved so I fooled with it. It didn't
take long to find a, ahhh, problem in Excel 2003 (and repro'ed in 2007).
Some might say a bug.

-Create 2 new workbooks
-In Book1 set Precision as Displayed on.
-In Book1 number format cell A1 to show 1 decimal place.
-In Book2 enter 31.14 in a cell (this cell should have the General number
format)
-Copy this cell and Paste Special, Values it into formatted cell A1 in
Book1.

The formula bar shows 31.14 and the cell shows 31.1. Press F2 and Enter and
the formula bar then shows 31.1 as it should have from the start. Agreed, a
bug? Workarounds? An worksheet change macro could fix it as this shows:

Range("A1").Value = Range("A1").Value

Thanks, Eric.

--
Jim