Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TommyB TommyB is offline

Default Auto filter sort ascending not working while sheet protected

Thanks Gord. Interesting that when I choose to allow sort from their provided
list, it does not work... Oh well...

BTW, this group is great. I have learned more in the last month than ever
taking classes.
--
TommyB

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You can allow autofiltering on protected sheets from 2002 onward.

Autofilter must be in place before protecting the worksheet with "use
autofilter" checkmarked.

i.e. Arrows must be showing

As far as sorting........there is a checkbox to allow sorting, but I have never
been able to get Excel to sort on a protected sheet without unlocking all cells,
which kinda defeats the purpose of protecting a sheet<g

Might be a good chance I don't know what I'm doing??

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:27:19 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK wrote:

If you have Excel 2000 (and maybe 2002 - I'm not sure exactly when it
was changed) then you will not be able to sort on a sheet which is
protected. Later versions did allow certain options when the sheet was
protected, but I'm not sure if those extended to sorting.

Pete

On Jul 10, 11:20 pm, TommyB wrote:
I have a sheet with a couple of columns that contain formulas, so I have
protected those columns and left the rest of the sheet open for data entry.
The problem is, now when I try to sort ascending or descending (on a column
containing dates) using the auto filter, it just does not work at all.

Any suggestions?
--
TommyB