Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Colin Gorman Colin Gorman is offline

Default Sorting dates in the format Jan Feb Mar Apr ... ???

that did it many thanks

ul, 19:28, Dave Peterson wrote:
You can select your range and then do Data|Sort (xl2003 menus).

Specify your fields and click on the Options button.
You can change the sort order from Normal to a custom list (use the dropdown).

Then finish up.

Colin Gorman wrote:

If I list months as Jan Feb Mar in a column and copy the sequence then
Apr May Jun Jul .... will appear. * Not sure this is relevant to my
query below but shows me that excel recognises this date format.

However, if I have a list that is say;

Dec
Apr
Jun
Jan
Apr
Nov

I want it to sort so that the months and the rest of the row go in the
correct order by date, as below:

Jan
Apr
Apr
Jun
Nov
Dec

Instead, I can only get it to sort alpha order, as below:

Apr
Apr
Dec
Jan
Jun
Nov

Is there a way that I can get excel to sort my rows using the date
format I want in that one date column?

Any advice appreciated.
Colin

--