Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cer144 cer144 is offline

Default Error of slope taking into account error of the data points

Thanks!! I'll try that, see if it's good enough for the boss lol.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

The slope of a line is given by the change in y values divided by the
change in corresponding x values, i.e.:

slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)

where x2,y2 is at one end of the line and x1,y1 is at the other end.
In your case the errors in the y values are plus or minus 0.8, so in
the worst two cases y2 may be +0.8 with y1 being -0.8, or y2 may be
-0.8 and y1 may be +0.8, so you could work out the two extremes from
this.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 7, 5:17 pm, cer144 wrote:
Hi!
I need to find the error of the slope of the line of best fit taking into
account the error of the individual data points. I have a fixed value for the
error of the points that I have figured out independently. (It's about .8 for
every point)
I have the error bars on, but excel isn't taking the error of the points
into account when determining the error of the slope! So...how do I solve
this? I don't necessarily need an excel function to do it for me, a formula
would be fine.
Thanks!