Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Javier Javier is offline

Default Applying multiple distinct conditional formatting rules

Cheers, J, but I think I mis-communicated the issue.

Im running Excel 2007, which allows multiple conditions. What I do not
know how to do €“ if its possible €“ is to apply 3 conditions, three times
each, within each row, and then copy those nine conditions down along each
row, but without having the condition calculate based upon on the values of
the whole table.

Does that make more sense?

"JLatham" wrote:

You didn't mention which version of Excel you are using. If it is 2003 or
earlier, you can only have 4 conditionals (default plus 3 based on
conditions) without resorting to VB coding. Sounds like you might be able to
get away with that limitation since some of the results are "don't care"
situations (leave as default).

I'd set up a helper column and put your standard deviation formula into it,
then for the actual results cells, set your conditions to evaluate the
appropriate cell in the helper column and change appearance based on that
result.

"javier" wrote:

I have a table full of data (well, the results of formulae), where each row
has nice points of comparison (either Y or N; or strongly disagree, disagree,
neutral, agree or strongly agree).

What I had hoped to do was use Conditional Formatting to highlight those
values - within each row - that for each of the nine comparisons is
significantly higher than average (lets say 2 std devs? but Im not fussy).
For instance, if 100 people said yes and none said no, I'd want the 'yes' to
be highlighted... But if 60 people said yes and 40 people no, I don't care.

Is this possible without my having to set Conditional Formatting hundreds of
individual times, and if so, how?