Trying to excel in life but need help

Default Vlookup Problem

I have 4 columns of data and two columns where information is entered. All
information is 4 digit # e.g. 2222.

Column A is where the deployment pool numbers are entered
Column B is where items to be repaired are entered

Column C is the source data for the pool numbers.

Column D is the ready pool -waiting to be deployed. This is identical to
column C unless pool numbers are entered in A or B

Column E is the Vlookup Formula for the Deployment Pool Numbers.

Column F is the Vlookup Formula for the Repair Pool Numbers.

I am using this formula. Assuming that all items are in the D Column unless
numbers are enter into A or B then the cell for D column would equal the
value in the adjacent cell in the source C column.

Formula in D is:
=IF(VLOOKUP(A5,C5:C9,1,FALSE),IF(VLOOKUP(B5,C5:C9, 1,FALSE),C5))

Formula in E is:
=VLOOKUP(A5,C5:C9,1,FALSE)

Formula in F is:
=VLOOKUP(B5,C5:C9,1,FALSE)

I am getting and #N/A error when there is not a value in A5 or B5. I want
the value in D5 to be that same as in C5. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help.
Martin