Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default in formula a range cell reference eg) $A1:$A20 that is static when filling

Or if dragging down column A just A$1:A$100

The $ signs are used to lock either row or column or both.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:58:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

ah my friend just told me how i need to put a dollar sign after each
letter and each number ( column and row )

eg)

$A$1:$A$100

and then it wont increment

/sh

On Jul 3, 1:23*pm, wrote:
if i want a cell reference to not increment when filling i put a
dollar sign in front of it

i noticed this does not work when you specify a range of cells eg )
$A1:$A20 although it is not an error

when i fill in a formula it still increments the cell reference in
each row but if i specify a single cell it does not.

*does anyone know the syntax for this, it's hard to word so i havent
been able to find anything on google.

*thanks for your help!

cheers,
/sh